National Center for Ethics in Health Care
Journal Articles by NCEHC Staff
Pearlman RA, Foglia MB, Fox E, Cohen JH, Chanko BL, Berkowitz KA. Ethics consultation quality assessment tool: A novel method for assessing the quality of ethics case consultations based on written records. The American Journal of Bioethics. 2016;16:3, 3-14, DOI: 10.1080/15265161.2015.1134704
Cohen JH, Foglia MB, Kwong K, Pearlman, Robert RA, Fox E, "How Do Healthcare Employees Rate the Ethics of Their Organization? An Analysis Based on VA IntegratedEthics® Staff Survey Data". Journal of Healthcare Management. May/June 2015, 60(3) 169–185.
Sharpe, VA, and Uchendu, US. Ensuring Appropriate Care for LGBT Veterans in the Veterans Health Administration. Hastings Center Report. Sept . - Oct. 2014, (S4) S53–S55.
Foglia, MB, and Fredriksen-Goldsen, KI. Health Disparities among LGBT Older Adults and the Role of Non-conscious Bias. Hastings Center Report. Sept . - Oct. 2014, (S4) S40–S44.
Biddison, LD, Berkowitz, KA, et al. Ethical Considerations: Care of the Critically Ill and Injured During Pandemics and Disasters: CHEST Consensus Statement. Chest. Oct. 2014, 146 (4_suppl):e145S-e155S.
Mitchell, M. Commentary on the Ambassadors. Academic Medicine. Oct 2014. 89 (10) 1359).
A special issue of AJOB Primary Research, a journal of the American Journal of Bioethics, features seven papers describing VA’s experience evaluating ethics quality in the VA health care system as part of IntegratedEthics, VA’s comprehensive model for managing ethics in health care organizations.
- Special issue of AJOB Primary Research Fact Sheet
- Pearlman RA, Bottrell MM, Altemose J, Foglia MB, Fox E. The IntegratedEthics Staff Survey: A Tool to Evaluate and Improve Ethical Practices in Health Care. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 7-17.
- Pearlman RA, Cohen JH, Bottrell MM, Foglia MB, Fox E. Perceptions of Clinical Ethics Practices: IntegratedEthics Staff Survey Data from the VA Health Care System. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 20-33.
- Pearlman RA, Cohen JH, Foglia MB, Fox E. Perceptions of Research Ethics Practices: IntegratedEthics Staff Survey Data from the VA Health Care System. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 34 - 43.
- Foglia MB, Cohen JH, Pearlman RA, Bottrell MM, Fox E. Perceptions of Ethical Leadership and the Ethical Environment and Culture: IntegratedEthics Staff Survey Data from the VA Health Care System. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 44-58.
- Bottrell MM, Pearlman RA, Foglia, MB, Fox E. The IntegratedEthics Facility Workbook: An Evaluation Tool to Support Health Care Ethics Program Implementation and Quality Management. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 59-71.
- Fox E. Evaluating Ethics Quality in Health Care Organizations: Looking Back and Looking Forward. AJOB Primary Research, 2013. 4(1) 71-77.
Foglia MB, Fox E, Chanko B, Bottrell MM. Preventive Ethics: Addressing Ethics Quality Gaps on a Systems Level. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2012; 38(3):103-11. Epub 2012/03/23.
Bottrell MM and Fox E. IntegratedEthics: An Innovative and Comprehensive Model for Ethics in Health Care. EACME (European Association of Centres of Medical Ethics) Newsletter (Number 29 – December 2011).
Fox E, Bottrell MM, Berkowitz KA, Chanko BL, Foglia MB, Pearlman RA. IntegratedEthics: An Innovative Program to Improve Ethics Quality in Health Care. The Innovation Journal. 2010 Summer;15(2).
Foglia MB, Pearlman RA, Bottrell MM, Altemose JA, Fox E. Priority Setting and the Ethics of Resource Allocation within VA Healthcare Facilities: Results of a Survey. Organizational Ethics. 2008 Fall-Winter;4(2):83-96.
Fox E. IntegratedEthics: Making It Easier to Do the Right Thing. (VAnguard. March - April 2005)