National Center for Ethics in Health Care
Index of Resources
Go to IE in the News
IntegratedEthics: An Innovative Program to Improve Ethics Quality in Health Care. The Innovation Journal. 2010 Summer;15(2).
Improving Ethics Quality: Looking Beneath the Surface - one-page article uses an iceberg model to describe the three levels of ethics quality in health care
IntegratedEthics: Closing the Ethics Quality Gap - two-page article describes how the IntegratedEthics model can be used to identify and fix ethics gaps
What Is Ethics Quality? - one-page article describes how the IntegratedEthics model defines ethics quality in health care
A Brief Business Case for Ethics - article describing how a strong ethics program can reap concrete benefits for a health care organization.
IntegratedEthics: Improving Ethics Quality in Health Care Video - ten-minute video provides an introduction and overview of the benefits of IntegratedEthics
Tools to explain the role of the IE Program Officer and the IE Council:
- IntegratedEthics Program Officer's Desk Reference
- Vision of Ethics Quality - exercise in the form of a play that can be used to help programs envision the impact intended from implementation of an IE program
Tools to explain the role of the IE Regional (VISN) Coordinator and the Regional (VISN) IE Advisory Board:
Tools to assess the structures and processes of an IE program:
- IntegratedEthics Facility Workbook - designed to help facilities assess current ethics quality, identify strengths as well as opportunities for improvement, set goals, and develop quality improvement plans.
- IntegratedEthics program achievement goals - IntegratedEthics Program data are collected with the purposes of monitoring implementation of IntegratedEthics as required in VHA Handbook 1004.06 and to obtain examples of strong practices in ethics consultation, preventive ethics, ethical leadership, and the Facility IntegratedEthics Council and VISN IE Advisory Board.
- VISN Reflection Tool - for VISN IE POC use when discussing the VISN program and VISN IEAB
Tools to support IE Councils:
- IE Program Status Check and Planning Tool - two-page tool to help leaders assess their local IE program by asking key questions
- IE Council Self Assessment Tool - (Revised 2014) Simple two-step tool to assist IE Councils with assessing their performance and identifying strengths and areas that need improvement
Ethics Consultation: Responding to Ethics Questions in Health Care (2nd Edition) - The primer provides an introduction to health care ethics consultation, and outlines a step-by-step approach to conducting ethics consultations using the CASES approach. Intended for staff who participate in ethics consultations, including leaders responsible for overseeing the ethics consultation function.
Ethics Consultation: Responding to Ethics Questions in Health Care Video - This two-part course (each part is 45 minutes in length) discusses important elements of a successful ethics consultation service and, using specific examples and interactive exercises, reviews CASES, a five-step approach to performing effective ethics consultations.
- Course Materials to be used in conjunction with the Ethics Consultation videos Part I and II.
Ethics consultation core tools:
- Ethics Consultation CASES Pocket Card - for Ethics Consultants
- Ethics Case Consultation Summmary Sample, Fillable Form
- Ethics Consultation Feedback Tool - obtain customer satisfaction feedback from ethics consultation requestors
Tools to increase awareness of ethics consultation:
- Ethics Consultation Brochure
- Ethics Consultation Brochure (Spanish)
- Ethics Consultation Poster and Flyer
- Ethics Consultation Poster (Spanish)
- Ethics Consultation Flyer (Spanish)
Tools to assess ethics consultant knowledge and skills:
Resources for new ethics consultants:
Six advanced training modules on the CASES approach to ethics quality improvement for Ethics Consultation Coordinators and other team members:
Tools to explain the role of the ethics consultation coordinator:
Preventive Ethics: Addressing Ethics Quality Gaps on a Systems Level (2nd Edition) - The primer provides an introduction to preventive ethics and outlines a step-by-step approach to improving systems and processes that influence ethics practices in a health care organization
Preventive Ethics: Addressing Ethics Quality Gaps on a Systems Level. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.
Preventive Ethics: Addressing Ethics Quality Gaps on a Systems Level Video - 45-minute, interactive video to teach viewers how to apply principles of quality improvement to proactively address ethics issues on a systems level
Course Materials to be used in conjunction with Preventive Ethics video
Preventive Ethics core tools:
- Domains of Ethics in Health Care
- Issues Pocket Card
- Applying Prioritization Criteria to Each Ethics Issue: Worksheet
- Preventive Ethics Meeting Minutes Fillable Form
- Preventive Ethics Coordinator Handoff Guide
Document a completed improvement cycle:
Six advanced training modules on key PE concepts for Preventive Ethics Coordinators and team members:
Tools to explain the role and responsibilities of the Preventive Ethics Coordinator:
Tools to explain the role of the Ethical Leadership Coordinator:
- Triage Tool for Ethics-Related Leadership Decisions - a tool to help leaders identify helpful resources and best approaches for an ethics-related decision (Triage Tool instructions) (exercise with examples)
Tools to support the development of ethical leadership skills:
- Action Kit: Leadership Strategies for Building an Ethical Environment and Culture - based on interviews with leaders in VA facilities with strong ethical environments and cultures, this action kit provides an overview of the kinds of strategies leaders use to influence the ethical environment and culture at their facility. (See also: full interview report.)
- Action Kit: Demonstrate that Ethics Matters to You: Model A Regular Discussion of Ethics - this action kit explores two options for systematic approaches to ethics discussions: a topical ethics meeting and a book club. By staking out time for discussing ethics with supervisors and managers, leaders can reinforce a facility-wide commitment to ethics, demonstrate that ethics matters to them, and encourage staff to discuss ethics in the open and often.
- Action Kit: Quadrad Ethics Office Hours - this Action Kit, designed for use by the facility director and other senior members of facility leadership, helps a facility to implement Office Hours, a strong practice that has been developed, tested and refined at other sites. Quadrad Ethics Office Hours provides a transparent, accessible and ongoing mechanism for senior leaders to hear about and handle ethical concerns from staff before they become triggers for a whistleblower event.
- Practicing Integrity and Advocacy Using 3Ws - 30-45 minute learning session designed to help all staff recognize their responsibility for asking questions about ethics, and practice questions about ethics in a workplace scenario
- Ethical Leadership Bookmark 2in x 8in, 3in x 5in
- Ethical Decision-making Quality Check
- Ethical Leadership Self-Assessment Tool (ELSA)
- Ethical Leadership Tips - Double-sided tips sheet to provide leaders quick and practical information about the Four Compass Points of Ethical Leadership. Included are examples, phrases, and discussion starters that leaders may incorporate into their daily work to enhance the ethical environment and culture in their facility or program office. (*Note that the document has been formatted to allow for double sided printing.)
- Ethical Leadership Interview Questions Tool - Behavior-based interview questions for HPDM level 2-4 leadership candidates, corresponding to the Four Compass Points of Ethical Leadership
- Peer Feedback Activity on Leadership Behaviors and the Organization's Ethical Environment - based on the ELSA, this 15-minute group activity allows leaders to obtain information from their peers on behaviors that have had positive and negative effects on their organization's ethical environment and culture
- Value of the Month Ethical Leadership Activities - a set of brief discussion activities that include value and discussion prompts, examples, and case studies. Intended for leaders at all levels, including committee chairs, to help employees articulate their individual values and improve mutual understanding of how values impact the work of the group or committee (editable version)
Value of the Day Discussion - a week-long series based on the Value of the Month activity
- Value of the Day E-mail Activity - e-mail activity based on the Value of the Day Discussion
- Ethical Leadership Curriculum (Faculty Guide) - based on the ethical leadership compass, this training curriculum is intended to help leaders develop new skills and behaviors consistent with ethical leadership. Includes slides, activities, and handouts for facilitators and participants.
- Ethical Leadership: Quick Activities - a series of 15-minute activities that can be used to highlight and practice strong ethical leadership behaviors over a series of leadership meetings.
Ethics Discussion Activities - using journal articles and media examples, activities prompt group discussion of ethical leadership concepts.
Tools to improve plans to strengthen an organization's environment and culture:
- Ethical Leadership Improvement Plan Checklist - two-page checklist to guide design and implementation of strong EL improvement projects
- Guidance for Strong Ethical Leadership Projects
- Employee Ethics Tips Pamphlet - Provides practical suggestions for how employees can support ethics and integrity in VA, and resources to help employees resolve ethics questions. Fillable format allows facilities to customize with local ethics contact information.
- Employee Ethics Tip Poster - 11" x 17" size. Fillable format allows facilities to customize with local ethics contact information.
Superseded and outdated files have been archived. To access archived files, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.