National Center for Ethics in Health Care
Health Care Ethics Fellowship Program FY 2017
2017 VA Health Care Ethics Fellows
Applications for FY 2017 have closed. Thank you.
The National Center for Ethics in Health Care invites qualified individuals to apply to the VA Health Care Ethics Fellowship Program. Qualified individuals are VA employees who have demonstrated through their performance and experience the interest and ability to become highly skilled, knowledgeable and professional ethics consultants and ethics leaders available to VHA’s patients, family and staff. This advanced ethics consultation training will serve as a springboard for participants to become ethics resources to their VISNs and provide guidance and support to other ethics consultants to improve the quality of ethics consultation. Specifically, by the end of the fellowship the participant will have:
- developed the organizational and leadership competencies required to fill the role of an ethics leader within VA;
- utilized the CASES approach to develop a portfolio of no less than 10 ethics consultations;
- appropriately documented this portfolio of ethics consultations in ECWeb;
- demonstrated proficiency in the applied ethics skills and attitudes, including those taught in EC Beyond the Basics; and
- learned to identify and assess VA and general bioethics literature to serve as authoritative sources of ethics knowledge for ethics consultation and for teaching other ethics consultants on the service.
- A minimum of two years of experience, or having done or participated on 15 completed ethics consultations. Experience as an ethics consultation coordinator is a plus but not a requirement.
- The applicant’s supervisor and facility director must commit to providing the applicant with at least 0.25 FTE (average of 10 hours per week) time while completing program requirements. At least five of the hours must be committed for the Fellowship sessions that will be held on Thursdays. Applicants must be eligible to have telework agreements in place for the Thursday sessions if such an agreement is needed to allow the fellow the required protected time.
- While the program officially begins in October 2016, the applicant must be available to attend the Ethics Consultation Beyond-the-Basics training scheduled for the week of August 8, 2016. Travel costs will be funded by NCEHC.
- All application documents must be submitted by the closing date: June 10, 2016.
To learn more, call 800-767-1750, access code 89129# to join an informational session on:
- May 3, 2016 at 1 PM ET
- May 5, 2016 at 12 noon ET
- May 11, 2016 at 3 PM ET