National Center for Ethics in Health Care
Responding to Question in Health Care
Ethics consultation improves health care quality by helping staff members, patients, and families resolve ethical concerns. IntegratedEthics® (IE) provides comprehensive standards, methods, and tools to ensure high quality ethics consultations in all VHA Facilities.
The Ethics Consultation Coordinator is a member of the IE Council and oversees the facility's ethics consultation service and ongoing consultation activities. In the IE model, ethics consultation services use the CASES approach, which includes the following steps:
Assemble the relevant information
Synthesize the information
Explain the synthesis
Support the consultation process
ECWeb: A Quality Improvement Tool
The ethics consultation component of IntegratedEthics utilizes a Web-based software program called ECWeb to document, track, evaluate, manage, and continuously improve ethics consultation quality. ECWeb reinforces a systematic approach to ethics consultation and enables consultants to produce comprehensive, standardized records of their ethics consultation data to serve for reference, reporting, and quality improvement purposes. Learn more about ECWeb
Ethics Consultation: Responding to Ethics Questions in Health Care - The primer provides an introduction to health care ethics consultation, and outlines a step-by-step approach to conducting ethics consultations using the CASES approach. Intended for staff who participate in ethics consultations, including leaders responsible for overseeing the ethics consultation function.
Find additional materials on health care ethics consultation in the index
Ethics Consultation: Responding to Ethics Questions in Health Care Video - This two-part course (each part is 45 minutes in length) discusses important elements of a successful ethics consultation service and, using specific examples and interactive exercises, reviews CASES, a five-step approach to performing effective ethics consultations.
- Video Part I
- Video Part I with Descriptive Captioning
- Video Part II
- Video Part II with Descriptive Captioning
- Course Materials to be used in conjunction with the Ethics Consultation videos part I and II.
Ethics consultation core tools:
- Ethics Consultation CASES Pocket Card - for Ethics Consultants
- Ethics Case Consultation Summmary Sample Fillable Form
- Ethics Consultation Feedback Tool - obtain customer satisfaction feedback from ethics consultation requestors
Tools to increase awareness of ethics consultation:
- Ethics Consultation Brochure
- Ethics Consultation Brochure (Spanish)
- Ethics Consultation Poster and Flyer
- Ethics Consultation Poster (Spanish)
- Ethics Consultation Flyer (Spanish)
Tools to asses ethics consultant knowledge and skills:
- Ethics Consultant Proficiency Assessment Tool (EC PAT)
- ECS Proficiency Assessment Tool (ECS PAT)
- ECS Proficiency Assessment Tool-Data Collection (ECS PAT-DC)
This Excel spreadsheet will automatically populate the Ethics Consultation Proficiency Assessment Tool (ECS PAT) once the user enters the Ethics Consultation Proficiency Assessment Tool (EC PAT) data.
Resources for new ethics consultants:
Six advanced training modules on the CASES approach to ethics consultation for Ethics Consultation Coordinators and other team members:
Tools to explain the role of the ethics consultation coordinator:
IE Archive: Materials used in the initial launch of the VA IE program